Child Support Enforcement

During your divorce process, it is essential to ensure that you have your agreement for the amount of money you will pay (or receive) in terms of child support. A family law attorney will handle this for you, which is only one of the many legal services they will provide you during this time. Typically, the noncustodial parent, the parent who spends less time with the child, pays the custodial parent child support. 

Virginia provides guidelines that enable parents and their attorneys to calculate how much one parent will pay the other. The calculation considers how much income each person earns, the costs associated with raising the child, how much time each parent spends with the child, and education and childcare expenses. Some spouses agree on an amount without relying on the calculation, but this still needs to be in writing and discussed with your lawyer. 

Payments You Can Rely On

It may seem obvious, but we have stressed the need to document the amount you receive in child support because failing to pay child support is a serious matter. When the judge signs off on your agreement, you have a court-issued order. Although people may worry that their spouse will stop making payments—especially if they rely on that money to support their child—they should also understand that child support orders will be enforced. Should someone stop sending child support money, they could be found in contempt of court. This could result in fines and jail time. 

Law firms such as ours assist clients who need child support orders enforced. In Virginia, you can achieve this through the court or the Department of Child Support Enforcement (DCSE). Your attorney can file an enforcement order. Judges have multiple ways to help you recover the money your child is owed. Even the DSCE can contact your spouse’s employer and have the child support payments deducted from their wages. 

If your spouse holds an occupation license or a driver’s license, the judge can suspend them if your spouse is more than 90 days behind on payments or owes more than $5000. Other options include putting liens on property and assets or reporting them to a credit bureau. 

The Law Offices of Robert Dawson

We understand how stressful it could be for someone if they cannot rely on their spouse to make child support payments. Allow us to utilize all the legal options available to get the payments you need. For additional help with issues regarding divorce, alimony, or child support enforcement, contact The Law Offices of Robert Dawson to schedule a consultation.

The following two tabs change content below.

Law Office of Robert Dawson

You have more power than you realize. If you need a professional attorney who has built a reputation within employment and business law, contact the Law Offices of Robert Dawson. We are passionate about protecting our clients and pursuing their interests. Contact us for tailored legal solutions.

Latest posts by Law Office of Robert Dawson (see all)